Substance abuse affects the mind, body, and spirit. The benefits of 12 Step programs allow for a comprehensive relapse prevention approach. However, are you a good candidate for these meetings? Here’s what you need to know.
Understanding the Benefits of 12 Step Programs
Peer counseling and peer accountability are at the center of the program’s success. Because there’s the human touch, you’re far more likely to call a sponsor if you struggle with relapse. Similarly, you’re around others who’re also in recovery. They understand you.
The meetings are informal, but you feel like you belong to something bigger. That’s because everyone works through the tenets of what the founder called the “Big Book.” Here, not using drugs is cool. There’s the pressure to stay away from the drug culture.
It’s positive peer pressure. If you struggled with negative peer pressure in the past, a 12 Step recovery program is ideal. You meet new people. You have the goal of long-term sobriety in common. Most importantly, you can talk openly and honestly about what’s going on.
Going through Rehab before Starting on the 12 Steps
However, before you can enjoy the benefits of 12 Step programs, you need to quit using. It prepares you for participation with the group. Besides that, you ready your mind and spirit for working toward the goal of sobriety.
Good-quality rehab centers offer several different care approaches. Doing so is instrumental in helping you heal. Because one size does not fit all, you need the customization of a care protocol. Examples include:
- Nutritional therapy counseling as a tool for embracing a return to a healthy lifestyle without drugs or alcohol
- Behavioral counseling that teaches new coping skills and lets you replace unhealthy ones
- Medication-assisted treatment, which encourages a strong focus on clinical care through help with cravings and post-acute withdrawal symptoms
- Massage therapy program that presents a holistic way of helping the body heal
- Recreational therapy, which builds your self-esteem and fosters the physical renewal you strive toward
- Family therapy program as a tool for opening avenues of communication with loved ones to repair relationships
Against this backdrop of custom care, the benefits of 12 Step programs continue in a very similar vein. However, it’s essential that you can fully immerse yourself in the therapeutic atmosphere of the program. Sometimes, this means dealing with underlying mental health conditions. It is not unusual for people with substance abuse problems to also struggle with mood disorders.
Others have unresolved traumatic events in their backgrounds. These events are still presenting triggers to this day. Maybe you have been self-medicating all this time. With the help of psychotherapy and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), you can deal with the issue.
It’s Time to Get the Help You Need Today
You do not have to keep suffering today. It’ is time to work with compassionate therapists who understand what you’re dealing with. Besides that, ready yourself to reap the benefits of 12 Step programs in your area. Connect with the Acqua Recovery Center by dialing 866.830.4628 today.