12-step programs for drug and alcohol addiction recovery have been around for decades, and their success is well known across the country. First published in a book in 1939, the 12-step program now has millions of members nationwide. Many of these groups have sprung up as an offshoot of the original group by adopting some or all of its tenants. With all of the different groups out there, you may want to know how to find the right 12 step program for your needs.
When searching for a 12 step recovery program in Midway Utah, there are certain features that you will want to consider, so you’ll know you’re becoming a part of a reputable program.
What is the 12 Step Program?
Before you know how to find the right 12 step program, it’s important to understand what a 12 step program is. The 12 step program involves the necessary steps to sobriety. The original 12 steps, as published by Alcoholics Anonymous, are summarized as followed:
- Admit your powerlessness over the substance
- Believe in a higher power to help you with it
- Make a decision to turn to a higher power for help with the addiction
- Make an honest, fearless inventory of self
- Admit the nature of your situation to the higher power, yourself, and one other person
- Be ready to change any defects
In addition to:
- Ask for help
- Make a list of those we’ve wronged due to our addiction problem
- Make amends with those you’ve wronged
- Continue to do inner soul searching
- Practice prayer and meditation
- Spread the good news of how others can change
Many groups have adopted principals of the 12 step program but tweaked the wording. Initially, the plan was just for alcoholics, but now it’s been adapted for people struggling from all types of addiction. There are still questions about how to find the right 12 step program, and these questions are just as important as the ones you ask when finding the right rehab program or any other care facility.
How to Find the Right 12 Step Program
When wondering how to find the right 12 step program, you should look for a place that provides the following benefits:
- Offers encouragement and reliable support
- Has a reputation of success, which is evident by the testimonials of others
- Incorporates relapse prevention therapy and planning
- Uses the main tenants of the program
In addition to these benefits, you should ensure that the place you’re considering offers caring, professional leaders of the program. You need leaders who are educated in the principals of the program and in therapeutic methods to implement the program effectively. You can also make sure the rehab facility to ensure the staff has trained doctors, clinical therapists, psychiatric nurses, and licensed counselors.
Introducing Acqua Recovery
At Acqua Recovery, we offer several evidence-based therapy programs, including the 12 step program. Staff at our facility includes medical professionals familiar with that program and several alternatives.
Our caring recovery team is ready to help you with your journey to healing. We have a variety of programs designed for substance abuse. Some of these include:
- Residential Addiction Treatment
- Recovery Coaching
- Dual Diagnosis Program
- Executive Drug and Alcohol Rehab Program
- Men’s Rehab Program
- Women’s Rehab Program
Don’t wait until the addiction is controlling your life. Now that you know how to find the right 12 step program, you can be successful overcoming addiction. Contact us today at 866.830.4628, and we’ll walk with you every step of the way on your journey.